One word: Communication!!
Ben’s lack of explanation was what ruined this episode. He never bothered to once explain what was going on. He never apologizes or tried to get things right. All he said was “maybe I did break up with you.” Even Ben should have been smart enough to apologize and explain what was going on. Hell, I bet that possible could’ve saved BenLie. Ben really screwed up here, and we’ll see how.
1. He didn’t explain how he got involved with Looma, or the fact he’s didn’t want her. Looma got engaged to Ben because of Kevin and Tetramandian customs. The female is engaged to the male who defeats her in battle. Ben didn’t tell Julie that. He even didn’t tell Looma that he wasn’t interested (but that could be messy). And it was confirmed in an upcoming episode “Catfight” that Looma and Attea are going to be fighting over Ben’s marriage. Just go Way Big, put your foot down, and say NO! (and Ben, I would take Looma off your hands if you want XD)
2. He didn’t apologize to Julie about the phone call incident. Ben was obviously playing a video game and not paying attention. I’m sure if he sincerely apologized to her, say the whole thing was a misunderstanding, she would’ve forgiven her.
3. Ben was an arrogant prick in this episode. But taken in this episode so that it was unlikable.
4. Ben obviously stopped calling Julie. So if you wanna blame anyone (other than the writers), blame Ben.
The writers explained that “people don’t usually stay with people they date in their teenager years” or something like that. BUT in Ken 10 (which was confirmed to be canon), Ben ends up marrying Kai Green, a character who he shares little to nothing with and was just a crush when he was 10. Figure that out!
Ben and Julie were obviously made for each other. They shared a tight bond, but that was thrown away way too foolishly. Many Ben 10 fans love BenLie. It was an AWEFUL choice. Julie was a very likable character; she was sweet and kind, and stuck with Ben no matter what. And to just throw her away like that is not right. I’m not even truly a BenLie fan, but I support it. It was a great relationship.
This is how it should’ve worked out:
1. Been sincerely apologizes
2. He reminds her about all they’ve been through. Including SAVING THE UNIVERSE! Remember she’s helped out with the Highbreed, her helping Gwen and Kevin with the whole pregnant Big Chill thing, when Ship was kidnapped by the Forever Knights, when Ben didn’t hesitate to choose her over Jennifer Nocturne, and the fact that she convinced Ben NOT to abuse Diagon’s power.
3. They both soulfully stared to each others eyes, kiss/hug, and get back together again.
4. Kick Herve’s ass to the curb.
5. It would be a heartwarming episode that would have fans going d’awwwww instead of WTF?!
Someones NEEDS to do this right. Rewrite Rules of Engagement, but do it RIGHT.